Thursday, July 2, 2020

Update - This Blog Isn't Dead!


Like a phoenix rising out of the ashes, the Game Boy Guru blog is back! Or, at least, I'm hoping it's back. Things have been busy the last couple years. I started up the RF Generation Shmup Club, where we play a different shooting game each month, and that's been going on since June of 2018. In January 2019, I started streaming over on Twitch, quite often playing through the Shmup Club game of the month, among other things. I haven't streamed a ton of Game Boy stuff, though I did do a full play-through of Metroid II last year, among other things. Give me a follow over there, if you're so inclined. And my podcast, Shoot the Core-cast, has been taking up a lot of my time. Again, that covers the Shmup Club game of the month, and we've played a lot of great shooters, and had some great discussion, as well as some fun special guests on some episodes. Oh, and last July, I moved, so I've been a busy guy, not to mention the global pandemic that caused most of the world to shut down for a little while. Needless to say, I've kept myself occupied.

I shifted my focus to streaming, even doing less on my YouTube channel, because it's easy to start up a stream after I get off work and get things settled at home. Writing game reviews requires more than just playing for an hour or so a night. I have to capture clean footage that's not streamed, so I can then also get clean screenshots, compile my thoughts, sit down to write it all out, and edit it when I'm done. Ideally, I can use the captured footage as the basis for turning that into a Dramatic Readings video on my YouTube channel as well. As you can imagine, game reviews are not a short process, even in the best of circumstances.

However, looking at the date of my previous post, I realize it's been nearly 2 years since I put up my last review. I apologize for neglecting this blog, but honestly, I didn't think it ever got much traffic, and it had kind of become a launching pad for what I would eventually turn into a video review, anyway, because more people are watching YouTube game reviews than actually reading them these days, even for retro stuff. That said, it's still important for me to keep working on this blog, both as a way to document my progress with the Game Boy library, but also because it keeps me actively working on the games.

With that said, I'm preparing to write my first Game Boy review in 2 years. It's of the licensed puzzle game Stargate, based on the film of the same name. I'm hoping to have it ready to go in a few days. Once that's up, I plan on trying to squeeze in some time with other Game Boy titles, and begin to get a rhythm going. I'm not going to set a schedule, or hold to anything specific, but I do hope to at least make a concerted effort over the next few weeks to get some content going again. I'll then be getting back to doing videos of the games as well, since I should begin to have some time back after this month is over. Thank you to everyone who has read the reviews, and watched my videos. Hopefully, I'll be able to have more content for you before long.

No comments:

Post a Comment